Working at Map Room: Matt Hodgkinson has his say.
In today’s competitive job market finding the right role which offers a fulfilling and rewarding experience was crucial for me.
After working 10 years as a contractor and the increasing complexities of IR35 I decided to exit this market. At this time, I had taken the view that I would focus on finding a role in a large corporate and I joined a blue-chip FTSE 100 Financial Services Company with a mindset of pulling back on the accelerator pedal and seeing out the remainder of my career.
Looking back, I was burnt out from the contractor market and needed a way out. However, taking a back seat was not the best career decision I had ever made. I was becoming cynical and critical at work, the progress the team was making did not provide me with any satisfaction, I lacked the energy to want to achieve and raise the bar. I knew something had to change.
Out of the blue, I received a call from Andy Phillips at Map Room. I had previously worked with Andy back in my contracting career where we had collaborated on a particularly complex regulatory project. It was the happiest and most productive time in my contracting career and I was keen to work in this kind of environment again. Andy explained his vision for the growth of Map Room over the next 5 years and the culture he and the team wanted to create. I can honestly say from the first meeting I was sold. I decided to join the team as a Senior Customer Operations Manager and have not looked back since – Map Room has turned out to be the best career decision I ever made.
As a Practitioner Consultancy, Map Room provide expertise, specialist resourcing and managed services across diverse markets to some of the leading brands in the UK. It’s so refreshing to work with a business which is open, honest, transparent and which really invests in understanding our customers’ needs and their business, ensuring their own customers are at the forefront of strategic thinking and operational delivery. This is backed up with tangible benefits which made it an attractive choice for me to reignite my career.
Some personal insights regarding why Map Room is the up and coming brand you want to work for.
- Map Room is at the forefront of the regulatory market and as a result this fosters a culture of continuous learning and professional growth. Map Room would be an ideal workplace for those seeking to expand their knowledge and expertise.
- We are a collaborative and supportive bunch. Map Room has a very flat structure…….No hierarchies here please……..We have the mentality to all muck in and seniority does not necessarily mean expert. As a result, the company values teamwork and encourages all employees to share ideas, collaborate on project and contribute to the collective vision. This collaborative culture not only enhances creativity and problem solving but also creates a sense of togetherness among colleagues.
- The supportive nature of the workplace ensures we all feel valued, appreciated, and motivated to perform at our best. This is further enhanced where we make time twice a year to take several days away, to plan, re-focus and re-energise with lots of fun and relaxation thrown in.
- Map Room recognises the importance of investing in its employees ‘Professional Development’. The company offers various training programmes which are bespoke to individual needs. This includes but is not limited to courses, workshops, and conferences to help enhance your own skills and knowledge. Additionally, Map Room encourages you to study for professional certifications which shows their commitment to you and also enhances the Map Room brand by keeping up to date with the latest market changes.
- Map Room understands the significance of maintaining a healthy work life balance. The company promotes flexible working hours, remote working options, generous holiday policies which includes an extra day’s holiday for your birthday. By living and breathing our values from the top down it means when you are in work you feel more energised and ready to attack the day.
- I am am a living example of Map Rooms competitive compensation packages. The leadership team recognise outstanding performance on a regular basis and I have benefited from that both emotionally and financially. I am more motivated to keep on delivering to the highest standards Map Room has set itself.
I may now be biased but working for Map Room has personally been a ‘Game Changer’. From being at the forefront of regulatory change and a collaborative working environment to opportunities for professional development and a healthy work life balance. I have seen not just in me but in others, that Map Room prioritises employee growth and well-being.
Map Room is also in the market to challenge the status quo both with its competitors and the customers it engages with. If you are seeking a place a grow which values your skills and offers the scope to develop your personality you are in the right place, so hop aboard and see where the journey takes you.